Thursday, June 25, 2009

My proverbial dander is up

Okay, I try not to talk about politics or political scandal because... well, generally it doesn't interest me too much. But being a lifetime resident of the state of South Carolina, I'm feeling the urge to exercise my first amendment rights on the topic of our recent political embarrassment, and as a woman, I would like to express my disgust and outrage on a more personal level.

How should I put this? *ahem* MARK SANFORD YOU LYING, CHEATING, DESPICABLE PIECE OF SHIT... but that's not very original, is it? I might need a second to rethink my statement.

Well, as I said, as a lifetime resident of the great Palmetto State, you kind of learn to be the butt of the country's joke every now and then. What with our failing education systems and high rates of teen pregnancy and syphilis, we're not exactly considered among the elite of the nation. And let's not forget Miss Teen South Carolina "some people don't have maps" bimbo bitch that made our state collectively cringe for the next month as the clip made its rounds on YouTube (and thank you Carrie Prejean for erasing that memory with your bigotry and grossly fake tits; you are my hero *rolls eyes*). Don't get me wrong. I live in the most beautiful city in a beautiful, wonderful state, but even I'm a little sensitive to the national flak we get sometimes.

I'm trying to approach the subject delicately because I don't want to belittle the point I intend to make with silly name-calling and finger-pointing. I have never been a Republican, I WILL never be a Republican, and I never voted for our dear Governor Sanford. That said, I still had a moderate amount of respect for the man. In fact, I've actually met him. Granted it was... oh, 13 years ago or so back when he was just in Congress and I was in DC on a school trip. But I was impressed with him when I met him and I felt at least a little satisfaction in him getting elected governor, if it had to be a Republican. And yeah, the whole bullshit about attempting to deny the state much needed stimulus money... that was pretty embarrassing when it hit national news, but he was standing up for something he believed in, and you can't really knock somebody too much for doing that.

And then this shit comes out about him going to Argentina on some very expensive booty call, and I can't help but take it more than personally. As a woman whose husband cheated very recently, I take great personal offense on the behalf of his wife and every woman who has been or will be betrayed by a man she loves, trusts, and in whom she invests her life. Mark Sanford, not only have you shamed your family, you have shamed your whole fucking STATE. And being the Democrat I am, I could care less how much you've shamed your party as well. But it takes a real shady mother fucker to lie to everyone and ditch your FOUR KIDS ON FUCKING FATHER'S DAY to go get some ass in South America.

I've read all the articles. Read some of the published e-mails between them. I couldn't read them all... after a while the governor started turning into my husband in my head and it hurt to read. But I hope I'm not the only one who realizes that a woman scorned is a force to be reckoned with, and being in the majority of the population, I would really advise the governor to end his political career as soon as possible if he wants to avoid the fallout. His wife may be the patron saint of patience and forgiveness for all I know, but she is not nearly the only woman in his life that can make it hell. Governor Sanford, you have angered and disgusted a nation of scorned women. Prepare for the backlash.

I should put in this disclaimer that I mean that in no way as a threat to the governor. Like I said, there are plenty of women in his life that can make it hell for him... somehow I think whatever I could say to him personally will be said a hundred times over.

2 comments: