Friday, May 22, 2009

Is love a lie?

As it says in the very brief "about me" part of my profile, I'm currently separated. My husband and I separated about two weeks ago, right before our one year wedding anniversary. That is to say, I LEFT right before our wedding anniversary. I won't go into the "seedy details" as my mother would say, but I left because he was cheating. That's all that needs to be said. You will never see me mention his name because I don't feel the need to ruin every aspect of his life. But we had been together for nearly five years and had been living together for nearly four... I don't think I'm wrong to feel betrayed after so many years of effort. The worst part was finding out that he'd even been trying to cheat on me BEFORE we got married. I first got wind of it a mere two months after we tied the knot. And the reason why is something I'll never understand. We went to couple's therapy once, and it came up that he stopped being attracted to me well before we even got married. So why did he marry someone on whom he had every intention of cheating? "Love." Love is something that everyone interprets differently, and as far as my interpretation is concerned, I'm wondering at this point if "love" is a myth, or if it's ever really permanent. You see, I've had two serious relationships in my life. One was for four years, one for nearly five. The first time I was dumped, and the second I left... what the hell was I going to do? Stay? He said he didn't want me to leave, but what kind of justice would that be doing me? I really thought both times that I had found my soul mate, and both times I was very wrong. It's probably just a post-breakup thing, the cynicism. I can't help but feel like I'll never trust a man ever again. Maybe I just haven't found the right one. I don't know how you're even supposed to find the right one nowadays. I am completely socially awkward when it comes to meeting men in person. So back I go to the internet, where I met my husband in the first place. Match.com has been very little help. I've met one person on there so far, and he was NOT the one, to put it lightly. I wouldn't DARE try to meet someone on MySpace. I've had my status changed to "single" for about a week and a half, and every creep and his brother has e-mailed me. Even MARRIED creeps. Oh, just because I'm bisexual and mildly attractive, you think I want to have a threesome with you and your wife? Have I ever given off that vibe in my life? Is there something on my MySpace page that leads someone to believe I'm looking to get into something like that? Hmm. It might be worth editing my profile to see if that's the case. In any case, love remains elusive and seems more like a myth than it ever has in the past. I'm hoping I can find someone or have some sort of experience that will lead me to believe that I'm wrong about that, but I'm not holding my breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment