Friday, May 29, 2009

Finally, I forgive you

I had an epiphany today. I finally forgive my ex-boyfriend, the one I was with for four years. He knows what he did after we broke up that I was latently mad at him for all this time, but I'm finally able to forgive him 100%. I realize now that it wasn't a matter of him consciously trying to hurt me, but that people do some stupid and desperate things when they go through a big change in life. I can empathize. Maybe I haven't made the exact same choices he did, but I have enough perspective to realize that the way I'm reacting to my separation is a lot like the way he handled our breakup. I take back what I said about him being a bad person, because I really don't think that's what it boils down to at all. He's human, and so am I. Humanity sucks sometimes, I swear to it. But it's not really something you can avoid when you're, you know, a member of our species. I hate that it took me so long to gain the proper perspective on our whole post-breakup phase, but whatever. I got there eventually, and I can finally say those three words I've been itching to say (and mean) for four years: "I forgive you." Mission accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment