Saturday, June 12, 2010

Crazy idea may not be so crazy

For the longest time it's really gotten to me that I haven't finished my bachelor's degree. A lot of it has had to do with my illness. Okay, like 99% of it. When I started college I was a really good student and got nearly straight A's. When the illness became overwhelming and I started being heavily medicated, everything went downhill, to the point that I couldn't focus on school at all. It didn't help that I kept changing majors. I really didn't intend to. When I started at Clemson University I was a food science major, and I loved it and was really good at it. After I slit my wrist and had to move closer to home, I enrolled in College of Charleston, which didn't have my major. I made the switch to being a biology major, but I kept having to withdraw from my classes for hospitalizations and actually straight up failed one semester due to leaving school after the withdraw date on account of hospitalizations and lack of focus. I had intermittent bouts of academic success... a semester here or there with a 4.0 and then back to doing poorly depending on how long my focus held out. I transfered to a technical college for one semester as a human services major, did great, went back to the biology program at CofC and lost my focus again. I came within 4 classes of a BA in biology but couldn't finish, mostly because I was never stable enough to make it through a full semester. Then I decided I'd try culinary school and I LOVED it, but after a couple semesters it became clear that it wasn't the right program for me because I could never be a chef for a few reasons. A) I can't work a 60+ hour work week. B) I would get bored making the same food over and over. And C) I would never be able to get the healthcare benefits I needed to keep my illness under control. So... fuck. What do I do now? Well, recently Clayton got his VA benefits we've been fighting for, which should include his GI bill. He wants to be an electrical engineer, starting off at the local community college and continuing on to University of Nebraska at Lincoln. So I was doing some research into UNL and found out they have a food science program, and I was shocked at how excited that made me feel. That old longing to finish my degree came barreling back into my life, and the chance to finish my original major, the one that seemed to suit me so perfectly, seems almost too good to pass up. As far as funding it goes, I might possibly be able to get some scholarships through the state, and they have this reintegration scholarship for schizophrenic, schizoaffective (like me!), and bipolar people that I might be able to get. *Sigh* I don't know if my focus or my mental stability would hold out long enough for me to finish my degree, but honestly, with all the course credits I have, both general education and in the major, I can't imagine it'd take me more than a year or two. I dunno. I hope that I wouldn't have to start over from square one since I will have been out of school for so long. But finishing my degree would mean everything to me... it would make me feel a lot less like a huge failure, and hey, maybe I'll get stable enough that I can actually work a full time job. My dream job would be doing research and development... coming up with new food products for a big company like Kraft or something. I dunno. It might be a crazy idea, but maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment