Sunday, January 10, 2010

Religious education

I started going to church with the bf a few weeks ago. I'm glad he decided he didn't mind going back, because I really feel a great sense of comfort when we go. I've even started taking classes to join the Catholic church. The funny thing about it is that I never went to church growing up. I had a relationship with God and I believed in Jesus Christ and all that, but I never had a deep understanding of what it meant to be a member of a church and to be a good Christian other than avoiding doing bad things. Now that I've been learning more about the faith, it's really opened my eyes to a lot of things. I feel like some void in my life I didn't even realize was there has been filled. My faith was put on the back burner while I was with my husband because, well, he was an atheist and I didn't have his support for any religious endeavors. I realize the fallacy of that now. Because in a way, when my marriage fell apart I felt like I had nothing. My faith that I had ignored for so long didn't come back to me immediately and I felt completely alone in the world. It feels good to have it back, but I realize it could be lost again if I don't strengthen it and nurture it. Hence the classes. I never want to feel that alone ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment